In this post I will demonstrate how to install OBIEE in detail, the Operating system used is a windows server 2008 R2, basically these steps are applicable to other operating systems as well but if you are installing Obiee on a linux you will need to install the OBI client at the end of the installation process in order to be able to use the Admin tool ( to work on the RPD ) since the Admin tool is not supported on Linux Os, below are the procedures to install the product .
In order to install OBIEE 11g you will need to download the files from “Oracle website”.
At the end, there will be some references, but the idea here is to enable and guide the beginners in a smooth path to successfully install obiee, also this should be helpful as a quick guideline for experienced technician to consult some basic steps during installation, this install was made on windows server 2008 R2.
The below link is the certification matrix that you can double check the specs : http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/ias/downloads/fusion-certification-100350.html
There you can check OBIEE compatibilities with different operating systems:
- Make sure you fix an IP address on the server ( if it is not already setup, see post #4 ) and edit the host file with ip address domains and host name
- Install “JDK”, version : jdk1.7.0_80, you can go to this link: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk-7-netbeans-install-433844.html
- Download the installer Files and extract them to a single folder(you will need to download 5 files plus “RCU”)
- Run “RCU” (repository creation utility) in order to create the metadata repository
- Run OBIEE installation
In the below link, if by the time you try the link below and if it is not accessible type
“download OBIEE 11g” on google, you will get the right link :
- Download the files :
Download completed, now extract all files and after that run the “RCU”:
Extract the 5 zipped files into one single folder:
Before running the executable of Obiee we need to run the “RCU”:
To do that, navigate to this path via CMD and hit enter: C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\Rcu_Obiee\BIN
You should see the following screen, hit “next”:
- Check “create” option and hit “next” :
- In this step you will need to pass credentials, host name and db name, remember you need “sydba” privileges to perform that even if it is a temporary one:
- Click “Next”
- Click ‘Ok’ and chose the component you want to install, in this case tick
- “Business Intelligence” option and the two schemas will be selected automatically, click “Next”, and “ok” :
- You will need to define a prefix for the metadata schema, click”Next”:
- Click “Ok”
- Define the password for the metadata schemas, click “next”, “next” and “ok”
- This step will create the tablespaces as well as the schemas:
- Click “Ok” and “create “:
- Creation of metadata in progress:
- Creation completed successfully, now you can close it and run the OBIEE installer:
- To run the OBIEE installer, you will need to launch the universal installer
- open command prompt and navigate to the “disk1” folder and type “setup”:
- You will see the following screen, click next and skip software updates:
- Next step is to choose the type of install, you may choose one of the 3 types of install:
- Simple install: which is a very simple way of installing OBIEE, this option is chosen when you need to quickly install for demonstration purposes, tests, use case, proof of concept and evaluation, often requires minimal configuration and less resources in your machine but the managed server is not installed.
- Enterprise Install : Allows you to deploy a complete OBIEE enterprise install, in this type of install you will have much more options of configurations you can set, you can choose additional components, also when implementing a OBIEE cluster this option is appropriate to scale the existing installation . This type of install your root middleware home.
- Software only install: in this type of install, you have to have your middleware home already installed, by choosing this option you will need to perform additional configuration steps to associate binary files with an existing domain and instance home (WebLogic is installed separately ), this is good when you want to run other applications under the same domain .
- OBIEE architecture reference: https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E28280_01/bi.1111/e10539/c1_overview.htm#BIEIG334
- For this tutorial I have chosen the “Enterprise install”, click next:
- Pre-checks run, click “Next”:
- In this step you can either create a new OBIEE install or scale an existing OBIEE installation (when creating a cluster. Typically for high availability )after the pre-checks you will assign the following :
- -“Domain name”-“WebLogic user name” and Password (make sure you take note of this information) and click “next”:
- A good document reference from oracle about scaling out for high availability in the
- Create a middleware folder, that is where OBIEE will be installed, you can assign any name, I suggest you assign a meaningful name and point the Middleware home location to that path :
- Click “browse” and navigate to the location above, note that when you set that first value everything else will be automatically filled in, click “Next”:
- Ignore the warning below and proceed, click “yes”
- Now choose the products, I chose “OBIEE and BI Publisher”, so untick the other products, when deploying in a client environment make sure the license covers the products, for example if the client does not have “Essbase” license don’t install it :
- In this step you will pass the database information such as the connection string and the database schemas where the metadata/repositories will be installed:
- Click “Next”:
- Click “Next”
- Click “Next”:
- You can pass your e-mail or not or un tick that option, click “Next”:
- Now you can see the summary of install details as well as the components, oracleBI home, instance path, instance name, WebLogic console, Oracle enterprise manager, Obiee and BI publisher… Save the installation file and click “Install”
- 100% installation completed, click “Next” and “finish”:
- That is it, the Obiee 11g is ready to be used.