Now I will demonstrate how to create a Windows Server sitting on Virtual box, typically, on a customer’s environment we would set up an Application server separated from the Database server, but for this demo we will install the Database on the same server host.
Now, the first step is to install the Operating system, as mentioned before you may choose either Linux, windows or MAC, for this demo I used Windows server 2008.
Follow the steps below:
- First We get a windows image or a Linux one, I used Windows: “en_windows_server_2008_r2_with_sp1_x64_dvd_617601”
- On the top left corner, click new and a create a VM : Give a name , choose the type of OS (Windows), Version and click next
Select the amount of RAM, since we intend to install the Database, OBIEE and ODI and other applications, try to get as much memory as possible but bear in mind that you need to allow enough memory to the host machine as well. The computer used for this demo has 16 Gigs of RAM, I would say it would be ideal, of course if I had 32 gigs would be far better but 8 gigs would work fine as well :
I allocated 10 gigs .
- Next we define how much space we will allocate in the disk for our server, set the options below and press “create”:
- Choose the option “VDI” and click next:
- Choose the option “dynamically allocated” (recommended for optimal usage)and click next:
- Define a reasonable amount of space, I have allocated 544.4 gigs of space in disk :
- Click “Create”:
You now have your VM, next step is to install the Operating system on it .